The first PYREG for the production of activated carbon by using water vapour has now been put into operation in Baden-Baden. With the brand new PYREG plant A500, the city wants to test various regional biomass for the production of activated carbon as part of the EU research project RE-DIRECT (INTERREG North-West Europe NWE). Currently, the plant periphery is still being set up and integrated. The first material tests are already taking place at the same time.
PROJECT DETAILS “RE-DIRECT”, Baden-Baden
- Customer: City of Baden-Baden, Department of Environmental Technology
- Location Site: Baden-Baden, Germany
- System: PYREG Unit A500, in operation since 2019
- European Research Project RE-DIRECT (part of the European Research Program INTERREG North-West Europe NWE): Regional development and integration of unused biomass wastes as resources for circular products and economic transformation, 2016-2019.
- Aim of project: Converting residual biomass into biogas & activated carbon at smart regional decentralised units. The project involves 11 partners from Belgium, Germany, France, Ireland and UK.
- The PYREG plant A500 will be used to refine the press cake that is produced from the biomass during biogas production into activated carbon. The activated carbon will then be used in wastewater treatment.
PYREG is also involved in another regional activated carbon research project:
PROJECT DETAILS “CO-ACT”, Lake Constance District
- The research project “CoAct” is part of the German Funding Measure „Stadt-Land-Plus“, funded by Federal Ministry of Education and Research (BMBF) and the Federal Environment Agency (UBA), coordinated by the University of Kassel
- Aim of the project is to be carried out how energy and activated carbon can be obtained from green waste from municipal landscape management (leaves, grass cuttings) or agriculture (fruit tree cuttings) at Lake Constance District. 2018-2023
- Project partners: University of Kassel, Competence Centre for Climate Protection and Adaptation (CliMa), Institute for Energy and Environment (ifeu), Institute for Rural Structural Development Frankfurt, DVGW Water Technology Centre, Lake Constance Foundation, Krieg & Fischer Company, Lake Constance District, City of Friedrichshafen